The New Mutants

The New Mutants ★★★★½

I'mma be honest with y'all, I haven't felt thie strong of emotional/spirtual connection with any film that has been released this year. The genuine feelings that permeate off this film were just so real and it's clear that everyone behind this film poured their heart and soul into it. What helps to elevate this from it's more generic trappings are the clear emotional arcs of each of the characters. The characters all play into a system where people offer understanding disguised as psychological jargon and use this as a way to militarize their powers.

New Mutants is very confident in its social stances and doesn't pussy out for a second. While films like Iron Man are very politically ambiguous this film shows you the true horror of militarization/assassin's and in effect it has something to say. Each character plays into an superhero archetype but over the course of the film we begin to see the humanistic qualities of them. The genre of this film is constantly changing and I feel like this is to its benefit as it's appeal to embrace a wider emotional pallet (what helps as well is the constantly changing stylistic touches and dynamic camera movements).

I'm not gonna act like this film is flawless or something but I think the reception to this was a bit unfair. Everyone jumps on the gun and calls this film generic yet will endlessly praise other marvel films that take alot less risks. Y'all just gonna let this bomb and not Ant-Man & the Wasp, k den.

Michael liked these reviews