The New Mutants

The New Mutants ★★★★★

I feel like this is the true successor to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, not only does it celebrate itself as a piece of pulp horror (among many other genres and moods, both properties possess these traits) but as an exploration of heightened emotion within filmic language (there's also literally footage from Buffy in the film that mirror and foreshadow events later in the film, Buffy and New Mutants both concern themselves with systems, beings and how they force us into a state of submission). The lengths this goes to in exploring each character's background, personality and trauma is almost too good for words, almost like I made it up in a dream. All the mutants are just like different parts of me, they speak so vividly to my experience. The power this has, the vindication this gives, makes me feel like my otherness could combat the forces that weigh me down, my friends and loved ones all there for the ride. The process of watching this is crying repeatedly and being in shock that something this beautiful was brought into the world. This is a gift, a heavenly gesture, it's one of the best things to ever grace our screens and I'm so lucky to been able to watch this I don't know what I'd do if this film didn't exist.

Michael liked these reviews