Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood ★★½

I'm sorry to say it, but I am not a big fan of Tarantino's Once Upon A Time in Hollywood. Not sorry in an apologetic way, but rather it causes me a bit of pain to say such a sentiment about the latest film from one of my top five favourite filmmakers.

I could tell Hollywood was not a 'normal' Tarantino flick in the way the opening shots were filmed and constructed. There was no crash-zooms, no comical editing, no energy behind the camera. This was Tarantino restraining himself, this is Tarantino playing against form and crafting an art film. And I was on board with this. I got myself comfier in my seat and I was willing to follow QT to wherever he decides to take us in this new journey. I sat there, and continued to sit, through the brilliantly crafted yet at first-glace arbitrary vignettes and the various scenes that play out to gratuitous breaking point, and I found myself bored. Bored in a Tarantino film.

That killed me to type that.

I was disappointed with a lot of the decisions with this film. Hollywood was not completely devoid of credit, there were several scenes that played perfectly on the viewers intrigue and others where the script was sublime. However, the majority of scenes I found myself disengaged with and frankly coming to the conclusion that this is QT's poorest script.

MVP: That final scene at least left on a good note

Block or Report