Interstellar ★★★★½

I find it overwhelmingly disheartening that Interstellar, with it's self-perpetuating canvas, ambitious narrative, and truly awe-inspiring technical production, is reduced by skeptics/critics to be "over-long", "over-expository", or "overly ridden by plot holes". VULTURE.COM, who released a review that contained numerous indicative spoilers (one huge spoiler came in the form of quotation marks!), also released an article that pointed out 21 of the films supposed "plot holes" the day after it was released. Those pretentious assholes were more focused on how Coop is drinking beer in a world without wheat than the plot of the film itself. Interstellar has taught me that Nolan's films (such as Inception, The Dark Knight Rises) often breed skepticism because the narrative scope is so large and people expect so much of them. People don't bother discussing plot (in)accuracies in Trans4mers, TMNT or lesser blessed science fiction because lets face it--who gives a fuck? Nolan has a huge following because his fantastic filmmaking is often bred from really cool ideas, and his films will always generate a large amount of critical attention because of his intellectual, ambitious storytelling.

Christopher Nolan loves his audience. His films are purposefully structured for us; to amaze, to misdirect, and to, most importantly, inspire that "OHHHH FUCCCKK MEEEE" moment of recognition that we've all come to desire from his filmmaking. Nolan, along with Tarantino and PTA, is also one of the last advocates for "reel" film (pun intended), as opposed to digital copies, because he believes it expands the viewing experience for his audience. His films, which often feature grand action sequences and dazzling special effects, are also structurally designed to challenge and inspire us. Nolan works to present an innovative, technical experience in one hand, while creating an intellectual mind-bender in the other. His ideas and imagery exceed our own imagination--the dream-scapes in Inception or the space-scape in Interstellar, for instance-- and his critics are left wondering how corn grew in dust better than potatoes?

Interstellar may be the most ambitiously potent science fiction film in years. The conceptual science and futuristic technology is deliciously creative.The interlaced, investigative storytelling delivers an emotional and scientific punch; each demanding their own existential presence. Nolan creates a relentless, back-and-forth relationship between action and drama, often layering separate narrative sequences to increase the overall weight of his film. (Inception does this so well, having all the different dream levels climax simultaneously to envelope one marvellous conclusion.) Interstellar has a grand emotional appeal with 4 or 5 potentially tear-jerking scenes; but it also genuinely connects the audience with it's subjects. We can feel the relationships between characters, the burden of time, and the weight of each decision.

I can definitely understand SOME of the criticism, but for me, Interstellar was too powerful and too compelling for anything to resinate as detrimental. I felt that some the plot points were force-fed and that some dialogue was annoyingly philosophical. I also felt that Hathaway's mid-way monologue was problematic, yet at the same time, necessary to the overall plot. Nevertheless, the film requires revisitation before ANYONE can hope to dissect/criticize/understand the plot.

The film is pure spectacle: the cinematography is truly perfect, the special effects are mesmerizing, and the score is raw power--Hans just crushes it out on the organ. The performances are all sound, but this is McConaughey's space ship and he drives it from start to finish. His emotional performance, especially in the video messaging scene, as well as his scenes with young Murph, is deserving of an Oscar nomination.

I already can't wait to watch Interstellar again, and again. The twists and turns in Nolan movies are always able wow me. I think it's a film that people will be talking about for years to come.

Tyler liked this review