Tenet

Tenet ★★★

For a post with "quick hits", this turned out to be a longer review than I had planned. Anyway, I thought "Tenet" was worth the trip overall. It could be confusing and long-winded at its worst, but I found it to be so exhilarating and inventive at its best. I think Christopher Nolan's "Tenet" might have a reputation similar to John Carpenter's "The Thing." That film wasn't quickly embraced upon release, and it's not without its own seams (Both films had received the complaint of underdeveloped characters). But look at the current reception for it. Both of these features have their distinctive identities and such inspiring skill. Like John Carpenter's flick, "Tenet" will be rewatched and appreciated as time goes on... or even inverted, I guess.
🛥🖼👩‍👦

I liked how the story teases the time inversion in the first half before gradually going full-blown with it in the second half. That being said, the climax was, um, not...properly done? I have nothing against how things wrapped up, but I personally think the presentation could've been better. There were too many editing cuts in a sequence with war zone action and time inversion. I thought it was more confusing than it was supposed to be.

When the film showed the red and blue room, I felt the electricity to pull me back into the story. The next ten minutes or so would be so gripping that I would remember this section for every following week.

I recall the seldom striking use of color with Elizabeth Debicki's red wardrobe in a drab room and then the red and blue room.

After Christopher Nolan's last two films, I thought the director took a few steps backwards in the visual department for "Tenet." The movie was still visually glorious with the grand scale and practical effects. However, I missed the longer-than-usual shot length and silent-film-level attention to every scene in "Dunkirk." In addition, there was a refreshing variation of elements (dust, water, snow) in "Interstellar." With those things, I thought C.N. would manage to more than make up for the inaudible dialogue with visual command. I was a bit disappointed in that regard.

Hey, there was Fiona Doriff, the daughter of Brad! She had the role of Inversion Exposition, the person explaining time inversion to the Protagonist within one minute before he goes to do the inverted car chase.

My friend and I noticed how Michael Caine looked quite frail in this. The man still did a good job with his only scene, but I couldn't help seeing it.

"Tenet" was kind of long, but I was never bored thanks to its ambitions.

I saw it with a friend at the AMC Barret Commons theatre in Kennesaw, GA. We booked an IMAX showing, and we sat near each other while separated by the sole chair of Seat H20.
🔴⏱🔵

I've been getting rid of movie tickets from my wallet, and these are for movies that I haven't seen since I saw them at the cinema. In the case of "Tenet", I used a pre-ordered ticket on my phone instead of a real ticket. I suppose like it was for many people, "Tenet" was the first movie I saw in a theatre during the pandemic. I was as careful as I could be with following protocol: using hand sanitizer often, wearing a mask, "six feet apart" , et cetera, et cetera. Thanks to Google Photos, two pictures taken on that day tell me the date of this viewing.
Now, I'll just put down quick hits about experiencing the movie.
🎟🍿🥤

⏹▶️
Woah, what'd just happened?

Matthew liked these reviews