Septembers of Shiraz ★★★½

I managed to get a ticket to the premiere screening of Septembers of Shiraz at TIFF 2015; I decided to see it on a whim the day of the screening and I'm so glad I gave it a shot. Adrien Brody and Salma Hayek-Pinault each gave really moving performances, as did the lovely Shoreh Aghdashloo in a supporting role. I really appreciated how complex and realistically flawed these characters were; Salma Hayek-Pinault's character was obviously very sympathetic for going through so many hardships while still trying to stay strong and resourceful for her family, but I really liked seeing how the film also showed her as being somewhat tone deaf on the subject of her own privilege. In contrast, Shoreh Aghdashloo's character says and does some fairly misguided things, but you can also see where her attitude is coming from. Adrian Brody's character experienced some abhorrent treatment in prison and you can really feel his and his family's despair and desperation as they try to get him released from prison after being arrested and accused of espionage.