Loving Vincent ★★★

The opening scenes where on Van Gogh’s greatest hits serves as a backdrop to dive into had my conflicted straight away. I was impressed by the technique and the effort, but couldn’t help thinking about virtuosity. It was technically marvelous, but being technical brilliance doesn’t necessarily lead to great output as anyone whose listened to Jazz can testify or even worse the unholy alliance of Jazz and Funk. Just cos you can doesn’t mean you should.

This disquiet wasn’t helped by a dodgy cockney accent being the voice of the main protagonist. Throw in the choice of an Irish accent for the French postmaster, and it was all very distracting. It settled down by the time more characters came on board and I just ended up accepting it. Quite what else they could’ve done I’m not sure.

It all picked up when it became about the cockney gumshoe in the yellow jacket who's a bit tasty in a ruck. Some of the exposition was a bit hit and miss.

The story about Van Gogh stood up pretty well, though the black and white scenes were a little jarring, but did move the story along. Interestingly it was possible to discern performances underneath the layers of paint, which was intriguing.

It couldn’t be helped that I was looking out for the greatest hits, and commendable that they didn’t try to shoehorn ‘Sunflowers’ in.

Despite my initial reaction I warmed to the telling and the method, and found it pretty satisfying at the end.