Stalker

Stalker ★★★★★

"Stalker" is about an expedition led by a figure known as the "Stalker", who takes his two clients—a melancholic writer seeking inspiration, and a professor seeking scientific discovery—to a mysterious restricted site known simply as the "Zone", where there supposedly exists a room which grants a person's innermost desires.

This is one of those films that I discovered on Letterboxd before hitting 100 followers. When I first heard of "Stalker", I thought it was a slasher horror movie because of the title, but I began to notice that this movie is sci-fi, and I understand the meaning of "stalker" in this movie. "Stalker" is probably my favorite foreign film ever. It is obviously one of the best sci-fi films I've ever seen and makes me wanna watch one of Tarkovsky's films, but I'll probably try to watch one of them at some point.

Despite the long-ass runtime, this movie was a lot of fun to watch and gave me a lot of interest from start to finish. The storytelling is very unique and thought-provoking. When the 3 duds are in the Zone, it'll give you a lot of thoughts and questions about them going to the Zone, as well as the ending. And what makes this movie extremely interesting is basically the concept of the Zone. Also, this movie has a lot of captivating themes, and there are a lot of amazing but compulsive dialogue and monologues that talk about their faith and life.

I think the cinematography and the editing are visually stunning and top-notch. Tarkovsky's directing and production design is absolutely magnificent. The writing in this movie is wonderfully impressive. The color palette is very beautiful and colorful. When the Stalker, the writer, and the professor aren't in the Zone, Tarkovsky uses sepia, but when they're in the Zone, he uses color, especially the ending. And I think it's brilliant to use these colors because it fits the tone of this movie, or maybe he's used these colors because of some problems with the coloring process. And the performance of the 3 duds is very terrific.

Overall, I'll probably rewatch this at some point because there are a couple of scenes that quite don't understand, but if you haven't seen it, watch this movie before you die. "Stalker" is an immersive experience. It's a breath-taking, mind-blowing, and stimulating Tarkovsky movie that I feel like everyone should watch this because as I said, it has a lot of interests from start to finish.

ISee Icy Ice liked these reviews