Terror in the Aisles ★★★★

I first watched this when it was released on VHS back in the 80s on Palace Video in Britain.

In this new digital age I thought that because the film was a compilation of clips from numerous other horror films that this would make the films release on DVD or Blu ray near impossible.

But then it was released on Blu ray. And as a special feature on the Blu ray of another film I Iove (Halloween 2). I jumped for joy :)

This film is as I said before- a compilation of clips from many horror films- the obvious, renowned but also the obscure and lesser known. There are also clips that help establish the filmic aspects of horror such as a clip from an interview with Alfred Hitchcock in which he tells the viewer one way in which suspense can be built.

Another great thing about this movie is the way in which the clips and themes that the film explores are linked together. The filmmaker had the great idea of employing two horror powerhouses to introduce and segue the film pieces and how they are explored. The actors employed were Donald Pleasance and Nancy Allen. I honestly can't think of two better actors to do this. They accomplish their roles in the movie with gusto and obvious glee.

There is also a movie audience who they sit amongst that provide comic relief and are a treat for the viewer.

Terror in the Aisles also had clips from movies that were banned in the UK in the 80s and so to watch Terror in the Aisles you weren't just watching a kickass documentary but you were permitted to see clips from forbidden fruits such as The Texas Chain Saw Massacre and The Exorcist along the way.

This is like Horror Film 101 made by a filmmaker who loves his subject and uses two of the most beloved horror actors of all time to guide the viewer through the module.

Thank Christ that rights issues didn't impede this from being released on Blu ray.