Raiders of the Lost Ark

Raiders of the Lost Ark ★★★★★

WOW

So I just watched Raiders in a theater for the first time and MAN I love this movie. I’ve always loved it, but felt like for some reason I loved it a bit less than most people. I’m not sure why, but I just wasn’t as thrilled as I expected to be. That changed with this viewing because reader, Raiders is a Big Screen Movie™️.

I mean, I could just talk about the theater experience. We get there on a nice summer night. It’s a decently packed theater. The crowd has a palpable energy to it. The Green Knight trailer plays before which turned out to be an excellent pallet cleanser to get into the vibe. People were cheering a lot. People cheered when Belloq ate the bug. There were people who were saying the lines before the characters were saying them. People were jumping in their seats- myself included. There were people there who had seen it a million times. There was at least one person there who was seeing it for the first time. I got to hang out with my mom who thoroughly enjoyed it- which was nice- but she had to close her eyes for all the gross stuff which is a decent amount of stuff… Fun times we’re had by all!

It really is such an experience. Such an engrossing and overwhelming experience that the adrenaline rush I’m on is blocking the part of my brain that’s trying to make insightful comments on the film craft, which is endlessly inventive. But I guess the best thing I could say about the craft is that it’s done perfectly, and the intended effect of really putting a group of people for a thrilling ride is still holding stronger than ever 40 years later.

What a time to be alive.

MEGAMOUW liked these reviews