Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory ★★★★½

The first half of this movie is what I love so much about it. The people going psychotic over the chance to go to Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. It's so insane and funny. These people are all so stupid and terrible.

The second half of the movie is where my attention always wanders.

I can't believe I forgot that this is a traditional musical with quite a few songs. And I think that I've only seen this movie three times and yet I know all of the songs so well because they're so permeated throughout our pop culture. This movie has been referenced on so many of my favourite shows. I always think of Andy Bernard singing Oompa, Loompa, Doopity Dawesome on "The Office". And the 1990s band called Veruca Salt. And that Mariah Carey did a remix of I Still Believe with Krayzie Bone that samples "Pure Imagination". The references never end.

The colours of this movie are so beautiful. The acting is great too. The special effects for 1971 are also really impressive.

I really didn't want to admit this part, but why did Charlie Bucket remind me so much of Matt D*mon this time around. They should do a sequel with Jesse Plemons playing Charlie grown up.

Lists: