The Mitchells vs. The Machines

The Mitchells vs. The Machines ★★★★½

While I would have loved to see this in theaters I fully understand why Netflix picked this up instead, it's the most fun I had with a form of visual medium in a very long time. I watched this via digital screener but I'm going to re-watch it when it releases onto Netflix next week for sure.

I haven't had the best relationship with my father (and somewhat my whole family in general) but this sure hit me hard emotionally while also making me laugh extremely hard, after the year I (and others) had that is such a joy to feel. Even the short sight gags nobody else seemed to notice gave me such joy to notice like one parodying Perks of Being a Wallflower. Not even the product placement of scenes like the one with the sign took me out of the film's universe thankfully.

The film has this whole "first film with an LGBT+ lead character" hype around it and while it does far more than the likes of Disney (I wish they didn't cancel Blue Sky's Nimona so much) it's more or less just an throw away line just like Legend of Korra's rushed ending (that at least had comics years after that did far more with their relationship).

Melissa liked these reviews