Mulholland Drive

Mulholland Drive ★★★★★

I’ve seen 3 of David Lynch’s films at this point, and all 3 have left me in a combined state of shock, awe, and confusion. It’s a wonderful feeling honestly. For nearly a hour I’ve been trying to find the words to even begin to talk about this. I still don’t know if I’m ready to talk about it. But I’ll try.

In the words of Kid Cudi, Mulholland Drive is best described as “beautiful madness”. It’s a horrific nightmare and a sugary dream at the same time. To me, there’s really no better feeling than frantically trying to figure out what a film meant after the credits roll, and Mulholland Drive is quite possibly the best example of that.

I’m only 3 films deep, but a trait I adore about Lynch is that his movies defy genre. You can’t box any of them in, if anything his films create their own genre. Mulholland Drive throws horror, mystery, comedy, drama, thriller, film noir into a giant blender, hits start, then splatters this mysterious liquid all over the fucking walls.

It’s one the best films I’ve ever seen, and I just can’t wait to experience it again and again.

James liked these reviews