The Handmaiden

The Handmaiden ★★★★★

Two years of buildup and sky high expectations led me to this very moment. It feels weird to finally say I've seen this movie, but I did.

And it was fucking fantastic.

It's only been a few minutes since the end credits rolled but I can't physically put my thoughts into words. This film is tremendous in every sense of the word. 145 minutes and not once was I ever bored or did I feel like the film was losing its direction. It's absolutely gorgeous with its Kurosawa-esque visuals and unbelievable production design and cinematography, every performance was brilliant, the screenplay is... holy fuck it's so perfect nothing I say will do it justice. Broken into a three act structure, it keeps getting better and better and by the time the film is over, you take a step back and look at the final product and the amount of times Park was able to misdirect you is astonishing. Absolutely mindblowing storytelling. I want and need to watch this many more times because this is a masterpiece. I truly don't believe there are many (if any) directors working right now that can rival Park Chan-wook.

(watched with Skyler)