Klaus

Klaus ★★★★

Here I go, getting all think piece-y without any research to back it up.

I am not quite sure how good this movie actually is. The first part was kinda testing my patience, none of the humor worked, and the modern music choices stood out even more than they usually would since this goes back to 2d animation. Despite this, the movie is just so joyful, and this is because it focuses on BEING A GOOD PERSON.

This is obviously a pretty common trope for a children's movie. They're supposed to teach kids a lesson, and one of the most important is how to treat other people. It's a simple message, albeit one that can’t be stressed enough. However, looking at the scores on Letterboxd, you can tell this is clicking rather well with adults as well. Why?

This isn't the first movie of its vein to start to win over older audiences. The Paddington movies are prime examples, each one held in high regards in film circles. While it may seem like adults would want more complicated media, something that shows the shades of grey, I think it's also becoming tiring. At the beginning of the decade, we were smack dab in the middle of the anti-hero movement, with characters doing bad things for either the right reasons or to be rewarded. As we go through life, we look at other people who are constantly breaking social rules, being rude, or just being lazy with disdain, but sometimes these people end up making it to the top despite this. The anti-hero gives us that feeling of knowing we could do the same thing and get what we want, but also lets us know we're fine with our modicum of success in comparison because of the tragedy the other lifestyle leads to.

While I get it, we want to feel like we're making the right decision, these types of media also don't particularly encourage doing much of anything at all, just not to be bad. We've lived it for so long, the cynicism being portrayed through the '00s and '10s. What if there was a better way? One that might not give us everything we want, but gives more joy?

Adulthood can seem like a daunting, exhausting task, one where you just try to survive minute to minute, and while you sometimes want a reminder that its the same way for everyone, we are moving past that kind of media. The Good Place, as I've discussed in another review, seems to resonate particularly well with people, and it uses the "do unto others" message that kids movies do. In fact, even Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood, while still maintaining some of Tarantino's revenge beats, ends on a rather feel good note, of getting to know one another better and appreciate those around you. It's a turn that I think's still coming, and Klaus landed at the perfect time to ride that wave. We don't WANT to just live, we want to feel happy, and the only way to achieve that is by helping others feel the same way.

Block or Report