Little Women

Little Women ★★★★★

"Women have minds & souls as well as just hearts... And they've got ambition & talent as well as just beauty. I'm so sick of people saying love is all a woman is fit for. I'm so sick of it. " - Jo March.

I don't even know where to start when it comes to explaining my love & admiration for this film. Everything from the overall message, the dynamic characters, and the dialogue that sticks in your mind for weeks after and changes your perception of the world for the better. To put it simply, I finished this film wanting to be a stronger & more independent version of myself- I only have the March sisters to thank for that.

I feel in particular that Amy has exceptional character development throughout that truly keeps me captivated and longing to see where her life's path will take her. It's a universal opinion that Amy is, perhaps, the worst March sister- I, however, see a girl growing up to become an intelligent young woman with an understanding of how the world around her works. Her speech to Laurie is what truly made me realize that she, even more so than Jo, dislikes the position she has been put in yet knows what she must do to survive. Admirable, if you ask me.

The whole idea that women must be strong, ambitious, and somewhat masculine to be respected has always bothered me as a feminine woman myself. When Meg said, "Just because my dreams are different from yours, it doesn't mean they're unimportant." I truly teared up with the knowledge this is something a lot of females feel. Although I myself do not wish to have children in the near future, I feel it is important for others to know that it's certainly okay to strive for that more "basic" path in life.

There's a warmness that comes from this film as you watch the girls grow up into their own personalities. There's a sense of sisterhood and a forever bond that you want to experience first hand- if not from your own life then certainly through the screen. Scenes containing the girls simply having innocent fun are truly my favourites; watching them make their own Christmas production, seeing them all run around together at the beach, watching as they link arms and go about their day's with the comforting thought that they'll always have each other.

The storyline with Beth I've always found quite bittersweet with a pain that resembles the worst moments of love. Even though Beth was no longer present for some time after this particular event, you could still feel the love the other girl's had towards her. Jo even mentions that Beth "was the best of us" & I think that's one of the most beautiful thoughts you could have when dealing with the loss of a loved one. Gerwig tackled the topic of grief so beautifully and poetically that I could hardly be upset with the infamous death of a pure soul.

Overall, Little Women has quickly become my comfort movie and I often find myself asking "What would the March sister's do?" when tackling a difficult situation. These four, wonderful females have shaped the way I think about myself & others in such a short amount of time that I find myself feeling extremely thankful that this film found me. Watching it brings an immense amount of comfort that I am yet to find in any other media thusfar.