2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★

I've always heard a lot about this movie. It even gets a mention now and then when talking about horror movies because of how scary HAL is. For a movie about space, I sure wasn't expecting it to start off with apes fighting over a waterhole. I figured it was setting something up for the future of mankind and it does. Some object has been found on the moon that was also seen at the start of the movie. It is never explained what it is or even what it does really. Anyway, I'm sure most of you already know that.

I didn't get into this movie all that much. The effects for space and the ships look great. Especially considering that this was made in the late '60s. Even though it looks great, I struggled to get through a lot of the scenes. There were a lot of scenes that just felt too long. Like Kubrick was showing off what he could do while I just wanted to move on with the story. The part of the story I always heard so much about is a small part of the overall movie really. I don't know. Maybe it just got overhyped for me. It was beautiful to look at but it just didn't click with me.

Heather liked these reviews