Midsommar

Midsommar ★★★★

I have been wanting to watch this movie for a long time now. I added it to my queue as soon as it popped up on Amazon Prime, but I had a lot of other movies to watch before I got to this one. I've heard a lot about it, both good and bad. I know when I first saw the trailer for it, I was reminded of the movie Wicker Man, which a friend told me was on the right track after he watched it.

I know some people, including my friend, who is on the fence about calling this a horror movie. I know the director doesn't see it as such and I get that after watching it. It does have some horrific moments, which causes it to bump against the horror genre, but overall I didn't see it as a horror movie. I thought that the length of the film (nearly 2 and a half hours) might be an issue for me, but I got through it with no problems. In fact, I want to check out the directors cut of the film someday just to see what he had to cut so it wouldn't get an NC-17 rating.

This does have a slow pace to it the story, but I was really into it. Not because of the scenes of horror, but more because of the festival that the characters go to is so weird. I figured what was going to happen to most of the characters that were invited, but I was still looking forward to seeing what would happen next. It doesn't disappoint in being weird and even the scenes of horror are very good and sometimes even gory. It might have taken me a long time to get around to this movie, but it was well worth it.

Heather liked these reviews