Solo: A Star Wars Story

Solo: A Star Wars Story ★½

At first, I kept a running tally of all the things 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' did poorly. After a while, I figured it was just easier to keep track of anything 'Solo' happened to do well, and in the end there wasn't a whole lot to remember.

I understand why Disney wants the Star Wars franchise to take on a darker, grittier tone. Just look at how well that worked out for Nolan's Batman franchise. But just making a film's visual aesthetic literally dark--or perhaps a better adjective in this case would be drab--does not somehow automatically make it gritty.

I'll also never understand why nobody involved with the film insisted that Alden Ehrenreich, a talented actor who plays a young Han Solo, take on any of Harrison Ford's signature affectations. Compare this to Donald Glover, who is instantly recognizable as a young Lando Calrissian, and the decision becomes even more maddening. The result is that for over two hours it feels like we're just watching some newcomer to the Star Wars universe do some vaguely Star Wars-like things to impotent effect.