Guardians of the Galaxy

Guardians of the Galaxy ★★★★½

We're just like Kevin Bacon.

This movie is fucking funny. Like, wow. It amazes me a movie this funny actually came from Marvel. Like, I never have this amount of unadulterated quirky fun from a Marvel film before. For instance, there’s me munching on my popcorn and eating my airheads, in a laugh riot for the majority of the film. Like I'm still in awe I got that from a Marvel flick!?

The screenplay here is by far better than the usual Marvel fare. It’s actually somewhat of a quotefest to the point where it doesn’t get overbearing? The script also lays out a symbiotic balance of character development where I actually care about these five weirdos. And these five weirdos all do excellent work here, even Bautista! Strong visuals, script, action, and character work make this film excel. Rocket Raccoon was my biggest concern coming in because from the trailers all I heard was Bradley Cooper. Well I’m happy to report I was proven wrong, and I was easily able to separate the two. Rocket Raccoon and Groot are two of the most delightful creations to come to the big screen in a very long time.

The soundtrack is also pretty delicious. I must buy it soon! I also totally dug the PG-13 violence here. Well-directed, entertaining, and heightened to a degree I wasn't expecting (although it was still devoid of blood/gore we all secretly wanted). Oh, and Chris Pratt sure is a charming, likable fellow. He’s a true movie star and I look forward to seeing him in Jurassic World next. He sure as hell will have a LONG fucking career ahead of him. Jealous much, Anna Faris?

My flaws with the movie (which seem pretty obvious and ordinary):

#1 - A forgiving one. I wanted even more a camp factor. The film was ridiculous yet I wanted MORE. Oh well, what are you going to do? This movie needed to make money at the box office.

#2 - Benicio Del Toro's character was kinda wasted. I get that he will play more of a factor in the future, but I still can't forgive this.

#3 - My biggest gripe with the film is villain. He didn’t fit the tone of the film. WHY SO SERIOUS, BRO? Only his final scene gave us what we wanted from him from most of the movie. Marvel is almost always in the pattern where they put hero before villain. Be more like DC!

Anyways, one of the most unique delights to come out this year. [A-]

Jason liked these reviews