The End of the Tour

The End of the Tour ★★★★½

Why don't you just be a good guy?

Perhaps, I Love You, Man for literary buffs? James Ponsoldt's The End of the Tour is an intimate and introspective exploration of loneliness, friendship, and self-discovery.

And this conversation is the best one I ever had

The End of the Tour is a wonderful mediation on friendship, loyalty, and being a writer. It's just an overall celebration of humanity and all of its wonderful and obscene complexities. It's actually a completely dialogue-driven movie and the screenplay remains to be one of its strongest assets. Most of the film actually just consists of deep, honest, and impactful road trip conversations offering fascinating cultural insight from the period. These conversations are captured between Wallace and Lipsky during The Infinite Jest book tour as they travel the road eating junk food, watching movies, driving, and smoking pot. The End of the Tour is one of those rare films where you can just sit back be just utterly captivated by constant dialogue and their deeper meanings. It's a film where you, yourself wish to enter the conversation with the two. Despite consisting of mostly conversations, the pace doesn't drag even for a moment.

My PopTart es su PopTart...

Eisenberg delivers another strong performance, but it's Jason Segel who's an honest to god revelation as David Foster Wallace. Goodbye comedic persona, Segel absolutely disappears into this role. Segel brilliantly captures the pain, the wit, compassion, vulnerability, voice, melancholy, and essence of David Foster Wallace. His performance really captures how fame doesn't change always change a person or make someone any happier. The End of the Tour overall isn't a film with a lot of big moments, but it's those quiet moments that make The End of the Tour a truly memorable experience. Admittedly, I haven't read any David Foster Wallace yet. Though, it's a testament to the film's profound effect on me that I want to instantly pick up a copy and dig more into the mind of Wallace.

James Ponsoldt has blossomed into one of this decade's most promising directors. He's three-for-three, and The End of the Tour is his most personal film to date. I cannot wait to see what he takes on next. No other director out there captures the human spirit and layers of genuine human emotion quite like him. All of his films feel so outside the Hollywood system of filmmaking and he is able to consistently craft emotionally rich and grounded poetic material.

Other notes: It probably captures the most authentic display of a journalistic interview on screen ever (boundaries, struggles, relationship)?

I also have to mention how film gorgeously shot the film is. It makes absolutely beautiful use of natural light. Overall, it's a truly beautiful and moving film. [A-]

Just for fun:

The End of the Tour = Linklater's Before trilogy + I Love You Man + The Spectacular Now + My Dinner with Andre + Almost Famous

metalmeatwad liked these reviews