Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan ★★

I'm not going to bother going back to scan Sacha Baron Cohen's previous Borat movie, which I remember enjoying with a room full of hooting young polyglot Romanians, but this one made me chuckle, oh, maybe 5 times, I guess, and looked at my watch, so to speak, more than that. I do appreciate the mildly transgressive vibe but most of it relies on scatlogical and sexual digust for its impact. That's not exactly visionary, is it?

For sure, I could have done without the horrifying sight of Rudy Giuliani, one of the most venal, stupid, and Trump-obsequious vampires in public life right now, sticking his hand down his pants to adjust his junk. If this is the apotheosis of leftist cultural satire, we're all in a bit of trouble, something amply demonstrated by the US election results now coming in. But no one's likely to learn anything from any of that or from Borat, as far as I can tell.

Block or Report