Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home ★★★½

Following the events of the previous film, Admiral Kirk (William Shatner) and crew are heading home when they pick up a strange signal from Earth, which seems to be destroying the planet. In order to save it they travel back in time to (then) present day San Francisco where they need to take two humpback whales with them.

STAR TREK IV is a rather amazing movie because it offers up one of the strangest plots that someone could ever think of but they use it to create something truly original and downright fun from start to finish. I'd be lying if I said I was a die hard fan of this film series and I'll admit that I've never seen the television show. With that being said, this fourth film in the series is something truly fun and I think it would even appeal to those who hate the series.

Director Leonard Nimoy does a wonderful job with the film and especially the various comic bits that are thrown in. The plot is really silly but instead of playing it straight the film instead makes for some very funny sequences and especially the ones dealing with the crew in the present day. There was some terrific stuff with Kirk and Spock dealing with a scientist (Catherine Hicks) as well as another sequence where today's medical science is laughed at.

As you'd expect, the entire cast are terrific in their roles and that's especially true for Shatner, Nimoy and Hicks. I really thought the scenes between Shatner and Hicks were a lot of fun and especially the dinner sequence. The film offers up some excellent special effects as well and like I said, the story is so far out there that you can't help but be thrilled with how funny and original it actually is.