Take This Waltz ★★½

A happily married woman (Michelle Williams) is fine with her husband (Seth Rogen) but this is until she meets her neighbor (Luke Kirby) and soon she begins to feel that he might be able to offer her more.

TAKE THIS WALTZ isn't a complete winner but there's enough good things in it to make it worth viewing. The strongest thing going in the film are its performances with Williams and Kirby really leading the way and making this film so interesting in the first place. Williams has really taken her spot as one of the best, if not the best actress working today. She delivers another extremely good performance but the screenplay either let her down or perhaps she was too good for the screenplay. I say that because the film's major problem is that there's really no development and in the end we're really left not certain show we should feel about the wife. I mean, she has a very good husband that she's happy with but she feels that the other man might make her happier.

We respect that she refuses to cheat on her husband and we see as she grows closer with the neighbor but the film eventually hits a wall and never picks up any more steam. This happens with about forty-minutes to go and sadly it really takes away all the momentum and the final third of the film really drags. This is one of those "deep" movies that are made to make you think but if you really think about it then you realize that there's really just not much going on here. There's no real development with any of the characters and after a while you're asking yourself what point the film is trying to make.

Again, Williams delivers another very strong performance and it's impossible to take your eyes off of her. She's becoming an all-star at playing these troubled characters and at this point it seems like she can do it with very little effort. Kirby is good as the other guy and I thought he brought a sensitive side to the character, which is quite different than we normally see. Rogen isn't a complete success in this dramatic turn but I think he showed enough good moments where you can see him doing stronger stuff in the future. Sarah Silverman also turns in a good dramatic bit. Director Sarah Polley does a fine job in regards to the direction but I think her screenplay needed to do a tad bit more and deliver more than just leaving everything up to the viewer.