Baby Driver ★★★

Now that the hype around this movie has quieted down some, it should be safe for me to express how I've felt about "Baby Driver" this whole time. Here we go...

It's okay. It's not bad, but it's certainly not great. I absolutely give Edgar Wright a lot of credit for creating something that could be perceived as original in a world of re-makes and sequels, but I don't think that should grant Baby Driver immunity from criticism. And when critics laud this movie as "game-changing," what game is being changed here, exactly? I hardly think that this is the first, the best, or even the most commercially successful music-driven action comedy film. Just this decade we had "Guardians of the Galaxy." Hell, even the sequel(which is the category "Baby Driver" is supposed to be saving cinema from) is a better written film with a better soundtrack. Yes, Edgar may have literally choreographed every second to his personal playlist(which was a little presumptuous to begin with), but I have a hard time remembering any of the songs because they are all either so bland in style or too quiet in the mix. Any of the scenes that did stand out, like the dancing coffee purchase scene or the musical machine-guns scene, had very little to do with the specifics of the music selection and more to do with the marriage of any music at all to these actions.

I also have a hard stomaching all the talk about how this film was Edgar Wright's baby for two decades. If he really was trying to make this movie for 23 years, he should have budgeted some more of that time for thinking through some of the plot-holes and underdeveloped characters in his "baby." Maybe spend less time explaining why Baby likes music(so unique!) and more time explaining why he's the best getaway driver a seasoned criminal like Doc has ever seen. Maybe give us a reason to believe that Debora would risk her life and freedom for a lying career criminal that, all things considered, she barely knows. Maybe just try to help us understand why Doc, despite previously threatening to kill Baby's new girlfriend if he didn't continue to drive and make Doc money, and despite actually having killed former team members who jeopardized his jobs in the past, suddenly has such a drastic change of heart that he not only lets Baby and Deborah live, he sacrifices his own life to save them.

Listen, like I said before, it's not bad. It's just not great. Like "Wonder Woman," I wanted "Baby Driver" to be as good as critics made it out to be. But I think we were so focused on the fact that this movie was supposed to be a savior from the paper-thin plots of big-budget action films, that this mid-budget action flick's nearly paper-thin plot fell in our collective blind spot.

Michael liked this review