Colonia

Colonia ★★★★

So far Colonia is the biggest surprise of the year for me. I didn't know much about the movie before watching it and thus had almost no expectations and it completely blew me away.
Colonia tells the story of a woman whose boyfriend is arrested after the military coup in Chile and brought to Colonia Dignidad. She joins the sect to find him and find a way to escape.
For some reason the movie is mostly advertised as historical drama or romance, when it's actually almost a horror movie at times. I found the beginning a little bit boring but as soon as they arrive at Colonia Dignidad the movie the movie gets more and more gripping every minute and the last 20 minutes are simply superb.
The only thing one could criticize is that instead of telling the story of Chileans, the movie focuses on a German couple, but that's understandable since it's a German production and the sect had a close relationship to several German politicians - and even though the story itself is fiction, the events in the German embassy are pretty accurate and happened several times in reality.

Look, I managed to write the entire review without mentioning that Daniel Brühl and Emma Watson look very similar. I mean I watched an old Daniel Brühl movie some years ago and he looked exactly like Emma.

Block or Report