Blue Is the Warmest Color ★★★★½

A few thoughts that ran through my mind while watching:

A memory from A PERSONAL JOURNEY WITH MARTIN SCORSESE THROUGH AMERICAN MOVIES: "A collaborator who was complaining about the miserable weather conditions when they were trying to shoot a picture in the desert. The man asked, "Look, Mr. Ford, what can we shoot out here?" And Ford replied, "What can we shoot? The most interesting and exciting thing in the whole world, a human face." BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOR is a three hour exploration of that face. Proof positive that the most interesting and exciting thing in the whole world is a human face.

I remember another quote from Jean-Luc Godard, "The history of cinema is the story of men filming women." Few women have been filmed as beautifully as these two have. Abdellatif Kechiche doesn't just want me to gaze, he wants me to know: what she reads, how she eats, what she talks about, how she makes love, what she wears on a date, and how she looks while she sleeps. All are equally important.

After leaving the theater, it dawned on me that I had not seen a lesbian story, I had seen a love story. There were no politics, no discussions about sexual preference, no arguments over gender, just pure emotion.

The sex scenes have dominated the discussion of this film, but I found the time spent before and after the sex scenes to be more revolutionary. Here, the movie takes the time to actually experience and embrace the female orgasm.

And one more, a personal favorite from Henry Miller, ""What is character, but the determination of incident. And what is incident but the illumination of character."