Chinatown ★★★★★

The ending to Roman Polanski's Chinatown hit me like a truck. I did not see that coming, but after pondering on it I should have. It's really one of the most perfect endings I've seen in a film recently. It left me wanting more, but is at the same time also quite satisfying. The message of rich people getting away with the most despicable financial and immoral acts are all too real and I think that is also one of the reasons this closure works so well. As for the rest of the film, well what can I say, I just loved it so much. Jack Nicholson shines as Jake Gittes, a smart business-minded private detective, who becomes entangled in a web of mystery and murder with Evelyn Mulwray (Faye Dunaway). Also, I want to mention John Huston, who perfectly plays the repulsive Noah Cross and who could make my skin crawl. I was also once again reminded how good Polanski was in front of the camera, he had a great little memorable role in this. Very solid. Everything else about the film just works so well, the screenplay is good, it's beautifully shot, and it's an exciting and thrilling story. I think it all came together superbly.

Michael liked these reviews