Police Story

Police Story ★★★★

A lot of people from my generation may only know Jackie Chan from “Rush Hour” or one of his many awful kid’s movies. It’s refreshing to see a fresh-faced 30-year-old Chan and it’s easy to understand how he became such a international superstar.

Unfortunately, physique-focused megastars like Chan (Schwarzenegger more so) paved the way for a lot of awful movie stars like Dwayne Johnson and Vin Diesel. The key difference between Chan and a Johnson or a Diesel, is that Chan is more than just a body. He’s not just a stuntman turned actor. He’s got a incredibly expressive face that’s great for comedy and showing real pain. You can see him thinking.

Chan’s more elaborate stunts beg comparison to Buster Keaton, and there is a lot of fun winking at the camera. But towards the end, “Police Story” does turn a dark corner. It tries to comment on crooked law enforcement and Chan’s protagonist turns into a “Dirty Harry” type anti-hero. The film might have benefited from less of that and one or two more fight scenes, but it’s a ton of fun all the same.

Favorite shot: Chan sliding down the pole at the mall, all three times.

Favorite line: “We go right by my place!”

MickeyShults liked these reviews