Little Women ★★★★★

This movie snuck up on me. Period pieces don't generally appeal to me, add that it's about four sisters, a life experience I have not even come close to having, Little Women was on my radar simply because of the cast and writer/director Greta Gerwig. I totally loved Lady Bird and I figured that despite it not exactly seeming like my type of movie I should see Little Women.

Boy, what a total idiot I am. I fell absolutely in love with this film. I mean everything about it worked. The writing was stunning and acted brilliantly, the way the story is presented non-linearly was perfect, and holy moly, I did not think a movie from 2019 would rival the Lighthouse for best cinematography, but Little Women is gorgeous to look at. I mean spectacular.

I'm excited to see it again once my initial impressions have worn off a bit, but I don't expect to love it any less on repeat viewings. I would call it a masterpiece. I can't believe Greta Gerwig didn't get nominated for best directing. See this movie even if you don't think it's for you. Maybe even ESPECIALLY if you don't think it's for you. If you don't like it, fine. But I think you will.

MightiestBeard liked this review