Kin ★★½

I would call this "an inoffensive piece of sci-fi" but the bit where it's about a black kid who uses a magic gun to solve problems definitely makes it at least a touch problematic, even if I wouldn't go so far as to call it straight-up offensive per se. Just one of those times where you're watching the movie and you're all "...man, they use the magic gun a whole lot to solve their problems with crimes" and it's clear the writers didn't really think that aspect of the story through all the way.

This is also one of those movies where it's gonna sink or swim on its core relationship between the two brothers (Myles Truitt and Jack Reynor, who is the poor man's Chris Pratt), and I mostly go with "swim" except at the end, the climax isn't really about their relationship, it's about a suddenly-revealed alternate dimension where Michael B. Jordan shoots magic guns, and that kind of sucks.

Beyond that: good performances in stock character roles from Dennis Quaid, Zoe Kravitz and especially James Franco, who should always just play villains from now on because he's so much better at playing villains than anything else. The effects are decent and the action serviceable. But this really does top out at "inoffensive."

Christopher liked this review