The Big Sick ★★★★★

I honestly don't have a lot to say about it other than it's outstanding.

It's a very honest portrayal of growing up as a member of an immigrant family, of how cultural bonds can smother members and push away outsiders, of how people can find common ground when circumstances are dire and how that common ground can become something deeper and more meaningful.

All of the performances are thoroughly good and nobody is idealized or gets off easy. Kumail Nanjiani reportedly took a lot of acting classes because he wanted to get this right and his big moment - when he loses his shit during one of his standup routines - is one of the most painful and intimate film sequences I've seen in a long time.

And it's really, really funny during all of this, which is an achievement as well. Medical crises can be and are often funny, and it's hard for people to admit that because nobody decent wants to laugh at anybody else's pain and our own pains (and the hilarity that can ensue from it) are usually deeply private so we don't share. Thank goodness Nanjiani and his family decided to do so.