Deadpool 2 ★★★★

8/10

Who would've thought that Deadpool 2 would be the perfect film for me to see today. Although sloppy in places and not as funny as I hoped, its emotional through-line is what I really resonated with. The best sequels are the ones that challenge the character and allow them to grow beyond who we know them to be, putting our protagonist in a place where they are both physically and emotionally vulnerable.

Letting go of what you love the most can be the hardest thing to do, but sometimes that's what we need to do in order to grow. Deflecting with humour is a natural coping mechanism but its only temporary. The only way to truly move on is to take responsibility and open your eyes to what you still have. Because family is always there for you even if you don't realise it at first. I guess what Im saying is there are some aspects in this that hit me a lot harder than I was expecting, and that was all I needed.

That all being said, Deadpool 2 isn't necessarily one of the best films of 2018 or even one of the best comic book films, but it was the film I needed right now. I know this was more of a personal reflection than a review, but thats the power a film can have when it comes at the right time.

Mike liked these reviews