The Mitchells vs. The Machines

The Mitchells vs. The Machines ★★★★

I've been keeping an eye on this film for a while now. A family road trip with a mix of the robot apocalypse with Phil Lord and Chris Miller producing and one of the writers of Gravity Falls as director? This was one of my most anticipated films of 2020!

You can easily guess what happened next.

Few months have passed and Netflix announced that it'll have this film and I was excited again. They even changed the title from Connected to The Mitchells vs the Machines (which was always the title since day one anyway). So, after all that waiting, was this movie even worth it?

Honestly, yeah it was.

The first thing you'll notice is that the animation style is unique. There's a certain graphic novel look to how the characters look, from dots as pupils to the 2D aesthetic. Sony Pictures Animation has really step up their game ever since Spider-Verse.

There's also tons of heartwarming moments too, with Katie and her father Rick being the heart of the film. You'd think this Terminator-esque film with A Goofy Movie-style plot would be off-putting, but the transitions from one to another work each other off quite well. In fact, the whole family is fun to watch with great performances from Danny McBride, Abbi Jacobson, Maya Rudolph, and director/writer Mike Rianda as the titular Mitchells. All of them are so relatable (I can definitely see Katie having her own account on this website) and you're rooting for them to save the world.

If there's one criticism I'd give this movie, it's that the jokes don't always land. There are plenty of jokes that made me laugh so hard and then there are some that feel like an old meme from a decade ago. It's not as cringey as The Emoji Movie, but fortunately, there's not a lot.

This may very well be one of the best films I've seen this year and I would most definitely watch it over and over again. If this is the new direction Sony Pictures Animation is going for, then I'm all in for it.

Michael liked these reviews