Romeo + Juliet

Romeo + Juliet ★★★

Alright so it's not as bad as I thought it was. I watched this in English class after we read the play and didn't really enjoy it. And while I still think that the classic dialogue in a modern setting still feels a bit awkward and the frequent camera movement was a bit distracting, overall I enjoyed it a bit better than I did when I first saw it. I guess I'm growing more accustom to Baz's visual style lol.

It still tells that classic Shakespeare story with a modern twist, which I feel really was to appeal to a wider demographic but in some ways it works. While there is quite a bit of shakycam, there are some scenes where the visuals are just gorgeous.

The soundtrack fits the setting as well, with it being more rock oriented. I mean, it's got Radiohead on it so it's gotta be good.

While Moulin Rouge is still my favorite Baz film (holy shit I actually said that), I have to admit that Romeo + Juliet definitely improved for me on a rewatch. While I may not go out of my way to watch this one again, it's still an enjoyable film with a few iffy creative choices.

Mike liked these reviews