Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Terminator 2: Judgment Day ★★★★★

Viewed in 3D

I have strange sort of emotional connection to James Cameron's T2: Judgment Day. For starters, it was the first R-rated film I had ever watched and after my first viewing, I re-watched it almost endlessly. Like at least once or twice a week for a year. It's one of my few VHS tapes that I still possess to this day. I viewed this film in pretty much every format (VHS, DVD, Blu-ray, and soon 4K UHD) but today I was finally able to view it in a theater, and my god was it cathartic. I'm amazed that even though I have seen this film so many times it still never seizes to leave me in complete and utter awe. So many memorable set pieces blow up the screen with a powerful amount of spectacle and emotion. T2 is about the very soul of humanity at risk of total annihilation. The risk is grand but the heart is played intimately, there are only three characters that matter and every decision they make and emotion they feel resonates profoundly. Few blockbusters are this perfect. Few sequels are this perfect. Hell, few films are this perfect! T2 is an unequivocal sci-fi blockbuster masterpiece.