Stalker

Stalker ★★★★★

I finally got to see what will probably be one of my greatest cinematic experiences. I finally got to see what is commonly known as one of the greatest pieces of film ever produced. I finally got to see Andrei Tarkovsky's STALKER (1979).

There is going to be a 'before' and 'after' STALKER in terms of me continuing my life-long filmic odyssey because this sci-fi epic left an eternal mark. It hit something uncanny. Activated something I didn't even know was there. Watching STALKER is such a rewarding experience as it transcends the boundaries of film language, challenges our understandment of narrative principles and reveals the extraordinary possibilities of slow cinema. Through meticulous workmanship Andrei Tarkovsky puts the viewer through the classic themes of art cinema; subjective perception of what's reality and fiction, 'the meaning of life' as in 'what does man desire?' and the utilization of excessive film language, which becomes a reflection of medium itself. Through hard sci-fi the Russian poet explores great philosophical questions and only by entering the literal zone of a film that equally transcends, explore, questions and hypnotizes will you be rewarded - not merely by seeking the meaning life, but also the notion of cinema, art, science and everything vital to 'being'.

mikkel abel liked these reviews