Avengers: Endgame

Avengers: Endgame ★★★★

Avengers: Endgame is proving incredibly difficult for me to rate. It's definitely a satisfying conclusion to the characters and stories we have spent the last 10 years of our lives immersed in. Endgame is, first and foremost, a film made for die-hard fans with its fan service elements, especially all the nods to past films, but there's definitely some enjoyment to be had for casual fans too with all its emotion and explosive action. At the heart of the film is the exploration of grief and how it affects everyone differently. And with that, our Avengers give their best performances to date. It's somehow an imperfectly perfect film. Some characters deserved better, but others got what they deserved. The representation issues that have been of much discourse lately definitely irked me, and while, yes, fan service is great but some scenes ended up feeling unnecessary to me. But somehow it also managed to give me everything I've ever wanted, especially in its conclusion. I came out of it heartbroken and overjoyed at the same time. It's definitely bittersweet, but it's not a goodbye. Cinema is everlasting, and our characters, their stories, will always be there for us to revisit.

Sara Clements liked these reviews