The Handmaiden

The Handmaiden ★★★★★

Park Chan-Wook is one of the most daring filmmaker I have encountered. Even though I am not a fan of Oldboy, still I appreciate the storytelling and the revenge, blood, violence presented in it. The only problem for me was the end. But Stoker is one of my favorite films, the atmosphere he created and the characterization of Mia and Matthew and the urge they had was just so beautiful to watch.

The Handmaiden is a film that deceives you and then shocks you and fulfills every thing you want out of this incredible journey. From the start of this movie, you sense a feeling of sophistication in the storytelling.

The beautiful cinematography and the production design captures your heart. A score that can be haunting yet so beautiful for the most part. Performances that can mesmerize you and the love that keeps you.

One of the most beautiful part of this movie is the storytelling. It goes from Park Chan-Wook's mind to Blue is the warmest color to Carol. The scenes between Hideko and Sook-Hee where there love is being developed is like a beat that your heart skipped.

Min-hee Kim and Kim Tae-ri give one the best performances of this year. The scene where Hideko is in bath tub and Sook is bathing her and the sensuality in that scene and the beautiful close ups and the gestures done by the ladies was so breathtaking to watch.

Even the final showdown between Fujiwara and Uncle Kouzuki was the unique Park Chan-Wook. The gritty violence and one old mans fantasy and the mind for survival.

Even the scene where Hideko goes to hang herself to the tree and Sook comes to stop her, at one moment you are seeing the truth and the next it gets funny when she leaves for a second but then again it gets deep in love. And that is the result of an incredible performance 's.

Even the love scenes which match upto Blue is the warmest color, but the last one is all Park Chan-Wook, there is no doubt in that.

The Handmaiden is all round masterpiece. You get a story that can blow your mind, a love story that will make you skip a heartbeat, violence and the sex in the nature of telling and feeling to its core.

Milez liked these reviews