The Virgin Suicides

The Virgin Suicides ★★★★

Recollecting their memories from the past a group of men reflect upon the five Lisbon sisters Therese, Mary, Bonnie, Lux, and Cecilia whose lives ended tragically and mysteriously in the 70's.

From the opening frame you are in the quest of what is happening to these sisters. Starting with Cecilia, 13 years old who commits suicide while telling her doctor that he doesn't know what it is meant to be a 13 year old girl in their household. Brought up in a strict home where the mother of these sisters try to shut down any luxury they can have.

Hidden in their isolations, with a smile on their faces. It is very difficult to read what these sisters are thinking. Even the eyes betray you. But we are no in depth of what is really happening behind those doors. We are having glimpses and words from the pages and memories from the boys who lived and saw these sisters.

Created with some ambiguity and mystery, we are like the boys trying to build the puzzle. We can create our own stories about them, but all in all we really don't know what was going on in their mind. There never was any rebellion from them or anything per se.

Written and Directed by Sofia Coppola, she creates a world with full melancholy and awkwardness. She shows these girls are trying to be women in this world they are growing up. There is a simple truth behind all this, something that is easy but very difficult to see. What Sofia does well is that she captures the sisters like a dream. As it is from the point of view of those boys you can see how they saw them and felt about them.

Kirsten Dunst just takes your breath away. I mean she is just so beautiful in her role and strong. She takes her character Lux trying to get out those shells and live a normal teenage life. Her trying to be rebellious and keeping the mystery was highlight of the movie. The scenes of the sisters and the boys listening to vinyl's via phone was beautiful yet heartbreaking. You can see the sadness falling down to these girls.

The Virgin Suicides is delicate yet free in its own way. It is isolated, it is far away from being deep but it is about the memories of the boys, the sisters they fell in love with and the mystery that still they are trying to solve.

Milez liked these reviews