Alien

Alien ★★★★★

Hoop-Tober 2015! (1/31)

"Now, this air shaft may work to our advantage. Here. It leads up to and comes out in the main airlock. All right, there's only one big opening along the way, we can cover that up, and then we... drive it into the airlock and zap it into outer space."

And yet another classic movie that I should have probably seen by now is ticked off my watchlist. Hot on the heels of the likes of Lost in Translation, The Wrath of Khan, Trainspotting & Raging Bull this is a good week for editing my Top 100 and it looks that Alien is going to be another edition to that list as I absolutely loved it. Ridley Scott (Gladiator, Blade Runner) delivers one of of the best science fiction movies ever made with a creepy, atmospheric slow burn horror set in deep space, as the crew of the Nostramo find themselves pitted against a terrifying creature.

This movie is a fascinating experience and easily one of the scariest films that I've seen. The decision to show and not tell keeps the audience in suspense and increases the tension so that when the alien is finally shown, the impact is a lot bigger than it would have been earlier. The plotting, pacing and characters all work well but the clear standout is Sigourney Weaver's Ellen Ripley, one of the most iconic characters in Science Fiction, and the fact that she isn't even the main character until halfway through the movie is a pretty incredible feat.

Despite being made in 1979 the visuals and cinematography hold up very well, and it doesn't feel as dated as The Wrath of Khan, which came out a few years after this film. The plotting is well handled and the tension and suspense created very strong indeed, reaching a peak by the end of the film. What an incredible viewing experience and I can say for sure that this certainly won't be the last time I watch this movie.

Milo liked these reviews