Avengers: Endgame

Avengers: Endgame ★★★★★

A full, spoiler-free review can be found here: all-comic.com/2019/avengers-endgame/

I love that the first act of this is essentially The Leftovers, the second is Ocean's Eleven and the third is Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. There is a lot of movie here, and it's to the directors credit that 3 hours go by so quickly I barely even noticed it. The cinematography in this thing is brilliant too - as is the CGI, and it's a remarkable technical accomplishment.

It achieves in everything it sets out to do with one of the more emotional endings of any movie, several fist-pumping moments of awesome from start to finish and plenty of character-defining set-pieces to boot. Robert Downey Jr's Tony Stark will always be one of the best - if not the best - casting choices ever. Would never have guessed that we'd one day end up here (with so much consistently good quality in the 20-odd films that followed, barring the odd Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor: The Dark World or Doctor Strange) when the ad-libbed words "I am Iron Man" signalled the end credits of the first Iron Man in 2008, but here we are, and the end of the road is glorious.

Watching this, Game of Thrones and Line of Duty over the course of the last two days was definitely an experience, that's for sure.

Milo liked these reviews