Carol

Carol ★★★★½

2015 Films Ranked!
Film 7/30 of Scavenger Hunt #15
Task # 13: " A film where characters write each other letters (snail mail, no e-mails)"

I've been hearing nothing but praise for this film for ages so I thought I'd use this Hunt as an excuse to check out Carol and I was not disappointed, in fact, I was blown away by Todd Haynes' romantic drama focusing on two women who fall in love in 1950s New York, despite one of them being married.

Romance isn't really my thing but Carol is that rare exception that actually really, really works. The chemistry between Blanchett and Mara is great, with Mara delivering a career-best performance as a department store clerk named Therese who happens to be a talented photographer. Blanchett also excels as the titular Carol, with the two leads helping to elevate this film from "good" to "great".

The film is visually amazing and really works, capturing the feel of 1950s New York very well indeed with its amazing, haunting atmosphere. The cinematography is one of the best of 2015 and Haynes knocks it out of the park with his excellent direction and instantly has me wanting to check out more of his work - I may have to bump I'm Not There up the watchlist a bit more.

A powerful, emotional and investing drama, Carol emerges as one of the best movies of 2015 and is an absolute must see.

Milo liked these reviews