Certain Women ★★★★

Quietly brilliant. Certain Women may well be one of my favourite movies of last year, telling three separate stories about four women in a fantastic way that really stood out for me. The subtle approach really pays off in its favour and although its slow pace may not be for everyone, I really dug it. The performances across the board were great with Kristen Stewart, Michelle Williams and Lily Gladstone knocking it out of the park, Gladstone being the biggest surprise for me considering I hadn't seen her in anything before. Laura Dern is great too and I think I liked her and Gladstone's stories the most, but all three played out very well and it's hard to pick a favourite.

The cinematography is amazing and the locations in particular really help the movie, giving it a striking feel that really works. The fact that it's not too long helps with its slow pace, and the slower nature of the film really allowed me to take in every moment. Kelly Reichardt has crafted an incredibly well directed movie here that bumps her to the top of directors on my list to check out more movies and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get around to Meek's Cutoff sooner rather than later.

Milo liked these reviews