Citizen Kane ★★★★★

My 250 Favourite Films

Where even to begin with this film? Widely regarded as one of the greatest, if not the greatest movie ever made, Orson Welles's Citizen Kane is a masterpiece and I can't really add anything onto it that hasn't already been said countless of times before. I went in with incredibly high expectations and was not disappointed, because this film not only beat them but surpassed them, which is a huge feat especially when you consider that Citizen Kane is the first feature film that Orson Welles ever made.

The film looks at the story of Charles Foster Kane, a famous man who has just died and has reporters everywhere scrambling to find out what he meant by his last words "Rosebud". Does he mean his first wife? Or his second? Or somebody else? It's interesting to watch us learn more and more about Kane as the film progresses, with Orson Welles himself performing Kane incredibly well. It's no small feat to direct, star, write and produce in the same film as well as make that film one of the greatest ever made, and Wells does that exceptionally well.

It's also worth noting how good the cinematography is here, especially for 1941. There are some iconic shots in this movie that really work and enhance the film. The character development and study of Kane is also something that shouldn't be ignored as we see him all throughout his life as a young boy taken from his parents to his deathbed. It's an epic story that few films can hope to equal.

Citizen Kane should be required watching for anyone who wants to expand their knowledge of movies. It's one of my favourite movies and is the ultimate film that before this was on my list of shame. I can gladly say that now I've ticked it off my watchlist, and it's every bit as good as I was led to believe.

Milo liked these reviews