Hereditary

Hereditary ★★★★½

One of the most terrifying films that I've ever seen at the cinema - and that's no hyperbole - everything about Hereditary is legitimate. Believe the hype. It's so good from start to finish - unnerving, suspenseful and downright scary in the best way possible. Reviews have compared it to the likes of The Exorcist and The Shining and it's not far off those all-time greats - easily the best film of 2018 so far and based on a first viewing, Ari Aster's debut can't help but leave an impression on you.

It's a smart and uncomfortable horror that avoids the typical jump-scare tropes in favour of something more horrifying altogether. I'm glad I watched it with a small audience who seemed to be really into it - there were multiple screams and "no, no, no, no, nos" heard over and over again when certain things happened, and all I can say is that I'm glad I skipped all trailers and hardly read any reviews before going in.

Toni Collette knocks it out of the park as Annie Graham, a mother of a daughter and a child who has just witnessed the death of her unstable and private mother, and must pick up the pieces in her absence. Milly Shapiro's presence too is unnerving and the film does go out of its way to remind you that her character is just as creepy as every unexplainable thing going on around the Graham family. But when you expect Hereditary to go one way it goes the other, and takes an increasingly darker path until it leaves you with an uncomfortable feeling that you can't possibly escape from.

Everything about all the good horror movies that we've had lately - The Babadook, The Conjuring, The Witch etc, has all been leading to Hereditary. It is incredible, and for my money, the best film of 2018 so far. Don't miss it.

Milo liked these reviews