Yi Yi ★★★★★

Pretty much a perfect film. How did it take me this long to watch anything by Edward Yang? Yes, the runtime, with the film clocking it around three hours, may have played a part, but I'm glad I finally checked it out as it simply blew me away, an intimate, human epic with some absolutely stunning shots that showcase just how brilliant Yang is as a director.

Focusing on a multi-generational family in Taipei, the film explores the various characters as they ask hard questions and come face to face with their own problems, finding their own ways to overcome them. It's an intricate look into a family life and the complications that come with it, sending you on a rollercoaster of emotions from optimism to sadness and everything in between. The characters feel human and their dialogue has a sense of realness to it that is unmatched in few other films. I was fully transfixed by the character's world and immersed in their lives and struggles, and I wanted the best things to happen to them by the end of the movie. Yang had me fully invested in their plights and struggles.

Beautiful. Devastating. Powerful. Yi Yi is one of the best films of the 21st century and is simply unmissable. Watch the Criterion release if you can.

Milo liked these reviews