The Green Inferno ★½

THE GREEN INFERNO (18)
D: Eli Roth
Universal/Worldview/Open Road/Dragonfly/Sobras (Christopher Woodrow, Molly Conners, Eli Roth, Miguel Asensio & Nicolas Lopez)
US/Chile/Peru/Spain/Canada 🇺🇸 🇨🇱 🇵🇪 🇪🇸 🇨🇦 2013 (released 2015)
100 mins

Horror/Adventure

W: Eli Roth & Guillermo Amoedo
DP: Antonio Quercia
Ed: Ernesto Diaz Espinoza
Mus: Manuel Riveiro

Lorenza Izzo (Justine), Ariel Levy (Alejandro), Nicolas Martinez (Daniel), Daryl Sabara (Lars), Kirby Bliss Blanton (Amy)

Two things that irritate me about modern filmmaking, especially when it comes to horror movies, are quite prevalent here. Firstly, I really don't like pointless remakes and I really don't like horror films which are more disgusting than they are scary.
The Green Inferno is Eli Roth's take on Cannibal Holocaust, a film which was so infamously violent, that the director was accused of legitimately murdering the cast who played the documentary crew in that version.
Roth's vision does away with the documentary crew and found footage for this, replacing them with a bunch of liberal, environmentalist students, none of whom have any personality.
Due to the characters being so poorly written, it's actually impossible to care about their plight. In fact, I was on the side of the cannibalistic, indigenous tribe who abduct them.
It made no sense to make this film, especially when it attempts to dilute what's already been made for a "modern horror audience" who probably wouldn't be able to watch the original film without squirming in disgust.
3/10