The Machinist ★★★½

W: Scott Kosar
DP: Xavi Giménez
Ed: Luis de la Madrid
Mus: Roque Baños

Christian Bale (Trevor Reznik), Jennifer Jason Leigh (Stevie), John Sharian (Ivan), Michael Ironside (Miller), Aitana Sanchez-Gijon (Maria)

Funded and filmed in Spain, The Machinist is an English-language thriller starring Christian Bale, who truly committed to the role by losing a huge amount of weight to appear emaciated and withdrawn.
Bale plays Trevor Reznik, an insomniac industrial worker who begins to question his own sanity.
If the plot sounds a little similar to Fight Club, then some of the plot points that follow will be incredibly predictable, which is a shame, since this is still a masterful psychological thriller with a solid script, excellent performances and a visual style which is brilliantly realised by director Brad Anderson.
Part of me wonders if it would have been better had it been released as a Spanish-language film, but if that meant losing Bale's magnetic performance then it's a trade that simply wouldn't have worked. I actually think this was a very good film, weakened only by being a little too similar to a cult classic released 5 years previously.
7/10