Call Me by Your Name

Call Me by Your Name ★★★★½

The final shot floored me. I sat there in stunned silence as the credits rolled. Dazed. Caught in a whirlwind of emotions - with a baseline mood that bounced between sadness and elation every split-second. And it all felt so earned. It begins as a buoyant, artistic escape into the Italian countryside. Sophisticated and fanciful - deserving of both your delight and scorn. Yet as it progresses it takes on deeper meaning, baring its soul and inviting you in to experience the true, beating heart of this tale. It's a slow-burn journey of liberation and love - as much a euphoric celebration of sexuality as it is a sumptuous, sun-drenched summer diversion.

I love their chemistry. The way they look at each other. Their evolution from strangers to kindred spirits to lovers. How insecure and lost Timothée Chalamet is in contrast to the playful machismo bravado he likes to put on. How effortlessly cool Armie Hammer always looks, even- no, especially when wilding out to The Psychedelic Furs (in what may end up being the year's single most enduring cinematic moment). Amira Casar is fantastic, Michael Stuhlbarg is so warm, Guadagnino is a master at framing desire, and this film is nothing short of captivating.

Minty liked these reviews